Brewtown Politico

Carrying a little stick and speaking loudly in Milwaukee

10.14.2004

Today the campaigns, the media, and the public had a chance to digest the debate. Rather than focusing on the issues of health care, jobs, or even fighting terrorism, the Bush campaign lashed out at John Kerry for bringing up that Dick Cheney's daughter Mary is a lesbian.

If I was Kerry, I wouldn't have brought it up, but I'm one who believes politics has become too personal and should be more intellectual. Having said that, here's Kerry's comment that caused all the fuss:

"We're all God's children, Bob. And I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as." -Kerry from the debate.

Today Kerry issued a statement in response to criticism:
"I love my daughters. They love their daughter. I was trying to say something positive about the way strong families deal with the issue"

Conservative blogger Andrew Sullivan made some good points today on this. The issue of same sex marriage arose (and thus the debate question about homosexuality), because President Bush cynically thought he could use the issue to get socially conservative Democrats and independents to vote for him in November.

Also, how come the Cheneys didn't get bent out of shape when Republican Senate candidate Alan Keyes called Mary Cheney a "selfish hedonist" last month? It's pretty easy for me to figure out which of the two statements deserves to be condemned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home