Brewtown Politico

Carrying a little stick and speaking loudly in Milwaukee

5.05.2005

Marquette University formerly known as the Warriors, more recently known as the Golden Eagles has changed its name again to the... (drumroll)... Marquette Gold.

I'm not a Marquette student or alum so I don't really have strong feelings on the matter. However, I've thought in the past that rather than change the name from Warriors, they could've changed the mascot to one which didn't offend Native Americans. The new nickname begs the question of why they bothered to change it at all.

3 Comments:

At 5/06/2005 03:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, the Mequon High School's mascot is the Highlander. Don't ask me why but I used to have drive past their front monument of a Scottish Highlander with spoiled suburban kids' gum stuck to its face. I wasn't jumping up and down about the defamation of my late Scottish Grandmother.

But then again, not all minorities are created equal, ironically.

Does kind of seem a waste to have a mascot that's not actually a mascot at all, sort of existing in the abstract. "Go Marquette Enigmas!"

 
At 5/09/2005 08:22:00 AM, Blogger TB said...

the backlash against this name is unprecedented. remarkable and sad

 
At 5/10/2005 07:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marquette Gold has to be one of the worst names ever. What does "Gold" exactly mean? Is the mascot now a big sheet of gold paper? I was listening to WTMJ last night. Their online poll was like 99.4% dislike the name, 0.04% don't care about the name, and 0.02% like it. There were like 15K votes.

I guess the Big East already has the Syracuse Orange. Maybe UConn will change their name from the Huskies to the "Blue".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home