Brewtown Politico

Carrying a little stick and speaking loudly in Milwaukee

8.31.2005

Brief personal anecdote

Where I work, they are advertising for a full-time driver to serve as courier between the customer and our office.

The ad first appeared in Sunday's Journal Sentinel. Since Monday, we've had over 70 applicants for the job, and many of them stopped in to personally meet with HR and apply. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering the number of layoffs recently at places like Tower in Milwaukee.

I found myself wondering how many other jobs each one of these guys has tried applying for only to get lost in a sea of resumes. Meanwhile, how many of them are trying to feed a family, or scrape together enough money to pay for gas in a given week? It made me sad.

1 Comments:

At 9/01/2005 10:18:00 AM, Blogger cambridgeJason said...

It’s interesting that you mention this now. On my way to work this morning, I was struck by how much poverty there is in plain view on the streets of Boston. It’s something that I see everyday but for some reason, it really hit me this morning. Too many desperate, broke people in one of the richest countries in the world. And to think that what I witnessed this morning is nothing compared to what the people are facing in the Gulf Coast right now is extremely depressing. To better times!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home