Brewtown Politico

Carrying a little stick and speaking loudly in Milwaukee

8.10.2006

The GOP double standard on moderates

It was amusing this week to see so many Republicans praising Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT) before and after his primary loss. In the meantime, Republican moderates like Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R-RI) are berated as RINOs (Republican in Name Only) when they don't tow the party line.

Chafee himself is facing a primary challenger in Cranston mayor Steve Laffey. He also faces a tough re-election fight against Democratic candidate Sheldon Whitehouse if he defeats Laffey. The latest Rasmussen poll has him losing to Whitehouse by six points.

1 Comments:

At 8/10/2006 11:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll only note that I rarely, if ever, use the term. I disagree with a moderate like Chafee (don't we all?) but he's never claimed to be anything else.

A RINO to me would be a politician, say somewhat like Mary Panzer, who said one thing yet did another.

But, again, I don't think I even used the term for Panzer.

Others, Belling for example, use it of anyone who disagrees with them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home