Brewtown Politico

Carrying a little stick and speaking loudly in Milwaukee

11.19.2004

Here's an update to the House rule change story. To recap, the Republican caucus in the House of Representatives voted this week to change a rule which previously barred members charged with a felony from serving in a leadership role or as a committee chairman.

The change was made on a voice vote in a private session so there is no record of who voted how. After some initial contact with Wisconsin's Republican delegation, I've gotten the positions of a couple of members.

The staff member I spoke with from Rep. Petri's office stated he supported the rule change. While Petri sometimes bucks the party on various issues, he didn't see fit to do so in this case.

Rep. Paul Ryan opposed the rule change according to his staff. While I don't agree with Ryan on most issues, I'm impressed that he questioned the direction of the GOP caucus in this case.

So far, no word from Rep. Sensenbrenner or Rep. Green on how they voted. If anyone finds anything out about their respective positions, please contact me or leave a comment.

UPDATE: Rep. Green's staff should be sending a letter with his position. Sensenbrenner's staff wasn't much interested in sending anything to me, because I don't live in his district.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home