Brewtown Politico

Carrying a little stick and speaking loudly in Milwaukee

9.02.2005

FDA official quits in disgust

This is from a few days ago, but I felt it was important to post. Susan F. Wood, head of the Food and Drug Administration's Office of Women's Health, resigned this week. In her letter, she explains how the FDA is ignoring the scientific research showing Plan B, the so called "morning after pill," is safe and should be available for purchase over the counter. This week, the agency refused to allow that leading to Wood's resignation.

Excerpt from her letter:

"I have spent the last 15 years working to ensure that science informs good health policy decisions. I can no longer serve as staff when scientific and clinical evidence, fully evaluated and recommended for approval by the professional staff here, has been overruled. I therefore have submitted my resignation effective today."

I've really grown tired of the government's anti-science approach to public policy under this president. It's affecting the environment, our education system, and the health of people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home