Brewtown Politico

Carrying a little stick and speaking loudly in Milwaukee

9.11.2006

My journal from DC five years ago today

I was working on the Hill in Washington when the attacks took place. Rather than attempting to write a summary of my thoughts on that day, I pulled this entry from my journal (some personal information omitted). It's not my best writing, but it's the stream of consciousness that went from my head to the pen that day.

Tragedy struck America today as terrorists hijacked four planes and crashed them into the World Trade Center in New York, and the Pentagon in Washington, DC.

I arrived at work as they were reporting on the Trade Center crash. Just after 9:30, I went down to get coffee at Cups in the Russell building. As I arrived in the coffee shop with my co-worker Katie, they reported the Pentagon had been hit just a few miles from the Capitol.

As we returned to the office, talk of evacuation plans was commencing. People seemed to be rushing out of the Hart building. Shortly after we had gotten back, the staff all assembled, we were ordered to evacuate, and proceeded to Senator Feingold's apartment. He welcomed us in and we regrouped, all flooded with all kinds of emotions.

Russ gave us a pep talk and talked about how he had just visited Pearl Harbor and analyzed the horror of that event to what happened today.

About a half hour later, we were evacuated from Russ' apartment, because of its proximity to the Capitol.

Some of us then went over to co-worker Brian's apartment. We spent the afternoon glued to the television and talking about the day's events.

DC became a ghost town as people left work for their homes. I left and walked to Union Station at 4pm with Kirsten. She was worried, because friends of hers work in the World Trade Center.

We stopped by MF's apartment (where most of the rest of the staff had gone). John Nichols was there. We talked briefly and then proceeded to the Metro station. The train was sparse, and I made it home at around 5:15.

It was a crazy day. My last week in DC interestingly enough. Next week, I begin my new job as the immigration caseworker in the Milwaukee office.

Congress will be in session tomorrow. The budget process will be on hold as we deal with the aftermath of today and address what should be done.


View from Arlington Cemetary: 9/15/2001.

1 Comments:

At 9/11/2006 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I have some pictures that I took of the Pentagon when you were out there, but they didn't come out as well as yours did I think. I'll try scanning one in and put it up if it looks okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home